Sunday, October 17, 2010

Shermanators


My dad was diagnosed with hairy cell leukemia in 2002. He went through his first round of chemo at that time. Then he relapsed in 2004 and underwent another round of chemo. His relapse is when we almost lost him. It wasn't the cancer or the chemo that almost took him but a reaction to one of the drugs that was used to treat the side effects of the chemo. He was in the ICU for a week and it was touch and go for most of it. He was in total psychosis, which was completely scary but very entertaining at the same time. He provided us some much needed comic relief during that week; however "Earl", which the sane refer to as the IV pole, did not make it through Dad's psychosis! Let me just add that my dad reads WAY too many spy type novels. I'll let your imagination fill in the psychosis details from there!

Every year since then we have been participating in Light the Night, a walk that raises funds for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, with the exception of one when I was afraid I might give birth to Case mid-walk. The first year we joined one of the local radio station's teams. The second year we started our own team. Since then we've had our own team for all but two years. It always amazes me to see how much support we get. So many people love my dad and are there every year to show their support. Others always help us by donating to our team. Either way they do it because my dad is such a great guy! He'd do anything for anyone and I love him so much! He's always been there for me through good times and bad. I don't think I ever played in any type of ball game that he wasn't in attendance for or coaching (my mom was always there too but right now I'm just keeping my bragging to my dad). If I was in a play he was either in the audience or running the sound board. He was always there! It is no wonder to me why so many people show us so much support when we Light the Night each year in his honor.

This year was particularly important to us because his doctor thinks he might be heading for another relapse. We don't really have details on how they would treat him this time because of all the complications last time. In April his numbers looked like he was heading for a relapse but when the doctor checked them a few months later they had bounced back some. The doctor said not to get our hopes up because it still is most likely where he is headed but it did buy us more time before we have to start talking about treatment. I praise God for this time! The end of this month he goes for more blood work and that's when we'll know where he is for sure. Please keep him in your prayers!

2010 Team Shermanators



Case and Grandpa (Yeah... they sort of look alike)



Dad, Case and me



Case and I with my friend Kelly... She's always there for us!



Case and his crazy hair waiting to walk (ride) for Grandpa



Case and his cousin Nolan riding for the Shermanator



Wayne's dad and step-mom with the Case Man



It's rare that I have any excuse for these shoes but since red is the color of support at Light the Night I feel as though they are totally appropriate. Don't worry, I quickly put them back in my closet for next year:-)



Case in his Cousin Eddy hat:-)



The after-party!

No comments: