Then I met Sarah P. One of my Baby Jam friends. She is a sewing genius in my book! She is my sewing mentor! She helped me get my machine out and actually use it. My first project, which I couldn't have done without a lengthy tutoring session between her, me, and my machine on her dining room table one afternoon, was replacing the Velcro (or hook and loop as us professionals call it LOL) on Case's bumGenius cloth diapers.
|before... notice the velcro rolling this makes for one long string of diapers out of the washer|
|after... no more rolling velcro!|
I found a great deal on half off valances that matched Ty's nursery theme so I bought three of them. Two of them were used to make a bedskirt and one to make the curtains. The curtains were the fun part. I started with some old curtains we used to have in our bedroom. They looked like this...
|The original curtain|
|The original valance|
|These probably need to be ironed but|
taking them down and turning the
iron on seems like SO much work!
|My mom made these tie backs but we decided we needed|
something more substantial than the regular little loops
that hold curtains back so we used these holders and just
put the tie backs around it.
I started the bed skirt, which just consisted of sewing together two valances and adding velcro to the bed and the valance, but my mom finished them. I still get pretty frustrated when my machine doesn't cooperate and she came by when it was on the fritz; however it worked perfectly for her so I guess from that I should deduce that I was the problem and not the machine. I prefer to blame the machine!
|The bed skirt|
|Pretty sure there is no threat of putting Sarah out of business|
but now I know why she loves making stuff!