Monday, February 2, 2009

Getting Answers

Have I mentioned that I love my doctor?  She's the best...in fact I just love everyone in that office!  I went for my annual girlie exam yesterday.  It's been a while since I've seen my doctor.  It was really nice to see her.  I still have this weird connection with everyone who was involved with my boys, especially those that were there when they were born.  It's a very one sided connection but one none the less.  I guess it's just that they are some of the very few people that truly saw everything that we went through and saw our boys.  Anyway, it was just really nice to see everyone at the doctor's office yesterday.  

Since I've had the go ahead to try to get pregnant for about 3 months now and that hasn't happened, we talked about it yesterday.  The doctor was concerned that I might not be ovulating. I've had positive LH surge tests at home and she said that is usually a good indication of ovulation but not a guarentee.  I'm still breaking out like I'm 13 years old too and she said that could be a sign of a hormonal imbalance so she thought it might be time to get some answers.  She was very proactive yesterday and I can't tell you how much I appreciate that!  

The plan is that today I'm having an hysterosalpingogram (HSG) which is a procedure where they can make sure there is no blockage in my tubes.  A posotive side effect of this procedure is that it can clear the tubes of any debris making it easier to get pregnant.  This will be great as long as I'm acutally ovulating.  I will be going in for more blood work in a couple weeks to check my progesterone level, which will tell her if I ovulated or not.  

Beyond that, she also ordered a panel of blood work to check for a blood clotting disorder.  This was my idea...I spend too much time with other moms that have gone through a loss and found out they had clotting disorders. Many of these disorders have an easy fix in pregnancy but without the fix a lot of losses happen.  I just wanted to be sure that wasn't part of the reason I lost the boys.  The doctor didn't think it was a bad idea so she went ahead and ordered it.  She said this along with all the other tests will help us to go into the next pregnancy, God willing, with a lot more information. 

I will be headed out for the HSG test in a little while so for all you ladies that are facing the same test soon, I'll post to let you know how it goes.  From what I read it doesn't sound like any big deal. We'll see.   

The scary part?   I have no idea if insurance is going to pay for these test.  I'm praying they will but there wasn't time to ask those questions.  The HSG can only be done in a very small window of your cycle, which for me happened to be today or tomorrow.  She wanted to do it as soon as possible so that if I don't get pregnant, then next cycle we will have a lot more information and may have to talk about using Clomid to get my ovulation going again.  I guess if insurance doesn't pay our credit cards will be taking a major hit.  I've heard all of this is pretty expensive.  

No comments: