Friday, March 13, 2009

Friday the 13th and Halloween

I had my first ultrasound today...I know...what was I thinking having an ultrasound on Friday the 13th.  Wayne met me at the doctor's office and Brandi took us back right away.  It was hard being in her office again and all I could do was pray that it would have a better ending than the last time.  She was, as usual, great!  I was measuring 6 weeks and 6 days today...that's 3 days ahead of schedule.  We got to hear the baby's heartbeat...that is just sweet music to my ears. The heartbeat was 128 bpm, which she said is perfect for how far along I am.  She said it will get faster and then slow down again towards the end.  She was also able to tell us that I got pregnant on my left ovary.  Here's a picture of our little "Dot" as Dr. Fenoughty has named it...
After the ultrasound we went to sit down with a nurse and do our medical histories.  They gave me the same bag of goodies they gave me the last time around.   I was surprised they did this so early because last time I don't think I did any of that until around the 12 week mark or so. Afterwards, she asked if I had an appointment with the doctor and I didn't.  She asked her if she wanted to go ahead and see me today.  She did.  I love that she makes time for me! There has never been a time where I needed to see her and she hasn't made time for me.  

She told me she is secretly glad there is only one "dot" this time.  I have to say that I wasn't sure how I would feel if there was one baby... I'm still not sure what I feel.  I'm relieved because I think having only one makes it a much easier pregnancy.  Then there is another part of me that was a little disappointed that it confirmed that the chance for twins had passed.   Then there is still another part of me (I know...who knew I was so complex) that reminds myself that I DO have twins.  I have two perfect boys that I can't wait to see again in Heaven. Today I'm just so thankful that that our newest baby measured perfect and had a perfect heartbeat.  Our perfect dot!

The doctor told me over and over that this is a different pregnancy.  She said she wasn't going to tell me not to worry because that's not going to happen.  She would be worried if she was in my place also.  She pretty much said there are no restrictions.  We aren't going about this pregnancy any different than any other pregnancy, with the exception of me having free reign of coming in anytime I want to so that I can see the baby and hear its heartbeat.  Oh and the doctor thinks it's a girl.  She says the name Dot just doesn't work for a boy:-)  As far as scheduled appointments, I don't have another one until April 13.  Brandi was standing there when I scheduled that apointment.  I told her she can go ahead and put me down for that day too and it was done.  She said she'd see me before though...she is right.  I'm not going to make it a month without seeing Dot.  As I was leaving she said, "see you next week".  I thought that was funny because she's probably right.  I'm grateful that they are so understanding of the worries that they know are going to go through my head.  

Oh yeah...you're probably thinking..."ok, why the title?"  I almost forgot.  So today was my first scan and today is Friday the 13th.  My due date, according to measurements, is October 31st.   I told them that I don't know if I need those negative things against me.  The doctor assures me that the double negative equals a positive...I guess we'll go with that.  We got a kick out of the dates though.  

No comments: