Thursday, January 16, 2014

Poppy

I am blessed beyond words to have three of my four grandparents still alive.  I'm especially reminded of this blessing as many friends have lost grandparents recently.  I grew up very close to all four of mine and losing Bubby (Dad's mom) 4 years ago was definitely a blow to me.  I still have to stop and remind myself that she isn't here anymore.  She got to meet Joshua and Caleb after I lost them at the hospital but I was only pregnant with Case when she died.  I would have LOVED to have seen the smile on her face having met Case.  When she was dying she actually said, I can't go yet because I haven't gotten to meet my great grandson.  It broke my heart because I would have loved for her to meet him as well.

Poppy has had to go on without her.  I can't imagine how hard it is to continue living without the person that's been by your side for 67 years.  I just can't even comprehend the pain that must come with that.  She was his world.  He took care of her.  She was his priority.  Now he has time.  Lots of time and no one to spend it on.  He lives to take care of others, not himself.  The running joke in our family is that Poppy used to not let you leave without kicking your tires and checking your oil.  If he got around easier we'd probably still have that delay before pulling out.

At his 93rd birthday we were singing happy birthday and at the end someone continued with "and many more" and he just said, "oh I hope not!"  I'm pretty sure he meant it.  Life is hard when you're 93 and living without the person you love more than any other.

Ty and I took Poppy out to dinner the other night.  This is something I don't do nearly enough and he is only 10 minutes away.  It struck me as I carried Ty in one hand and Poppy willingly held on and leaned on my other arm how much things have changed.

One thing stays absolutely the same though.  He still worries about others and you don't leave his retirement home without him standing in his window watching you pull out until he can't see your car anymore.

That's him in the window... watching.

No comments: