Friday, August 31, 2012

First Punch

I have frequently joked that with our boys being so physical we are probably going to have a "frequent flyer" card to the ER. Well today our card got its first punch and it was a doozey!

Case was jumping on the couch and fell off onto the hardwood floor, which is on a slab so he might as well have landed on concrete. I was in the kitchen when it happened and all I heard was the ground getting smacked with what I could only assume was someone's hands. As a mom you hear a thud and then you hold your breath waiting for a cry. It came. And came and came. Case usually gets over stuff pretty quick and when Popsicles and suckers couldn't calm him down I knew we were in trouble. I called the pediatrician who called back much quicker than usual, another worrisome sign. They said the fact that he was laying his head on me and didn't leave my lap meant I needed to take him to the ER. I loaded both boys up and off we went... Very fast!  I called Wayne on the way and he left work and came right to the hospital.  Imagine my relief as I corralled one uninjured 17 month old and one injured but not acting like it almost 3 year old in the ER where I'm pretty sure Ty touched his sucker to every germy surface in the joint and then stuck it back in his mouth.  I think he even dropped it on the floor once and back in his mouth it went because I only have 2 hands and couldn't stop him in time.  
The impact was on the top middle of his forehead so you can imagine
why I got scared when his eye started swelling almost immediately
In the parking lot he started perking up and by the time anyone made it in the room I was sure I was going to hear that he was fine and most likely hear snickering and sighs about another over protective momma.

Neither happened. Instead three docs came in at different times to look at the swelling around his eye because they were on the fence about doing a CT Scan. After the third doc they thought they better do one.
They let me stay with him during the scan and he did amazing, especially for having missed his nap and us having already been there for 3 hours. They said he did better than most adults. I was shocked because I was pretty sure it was going to be a disaster.  I am amazed by his faith in Mommy and the fact that he didn't even know to be scared because I was right beside him. What an awesome gift God has given this mommy and little boy today.  If only I could live every moment with faith like that!

More waiting and the doc came in and confirmed a skull fracture. My heart sank. She explained that it was a large fracture but not displaced so she didn't think he would need surgery but they wanted him to be transported to Riley Children's Hospital for observation overnight. I lost it but she was so kind in explaining that he would be fine and even shared her own kid falls horror stories.

So Case, who couldn't have been more excited, prepared for his first ambulance ride.
These ladies were so nice and found stickers and a stuffed animal
for the ride.


He didn't really get to experience his first (and hopefully last) ambulance ride because he fell asleep immediately.  He was SO tired!

Grandma and Daddy were waiting for us at Riley. Grandma had already raided the gift shop. Shortly after we got there Tracey came.  Now if you've been following along she and her family had been living in the UK for the past few months and she literally just got home about 3 hours before she came to the hospital.  I'm sure that is EXACTLY what she wanted to do when she got home.  Case was SO happy to see her though and so was I!

We had to go through the ER and wait some a lot more before they could admit him. A doctor checked him out and then another doctor checked him out and then another and finally for icing on the cake an ophthalmologist came in and checked him out and dilated his eyes. I SO appreciated the thoroughness but by this time it was about 10pm so we had been in hospitals for over 7 hours already. Case was very patient with all the poking and prodding until we got to Riley. At that point he was just done. My heart broke while the ophthalmologist pried his eyes open for 3 sets of drops.  The neurosurgeon was one of the doctors to come in the room.  She was great with him.  She told us how important it is that he not have another fall like this especially for the next month or so.  She said another fall like this that happens soon could be "fatal".  This is NEVER a word you want to hear a doctor say about your baby.  This is all SO scary!!!

They finally sent us to a room after that. The ER is not so nice but the rooms are amazing! Wayne brought everything I asked him to bring for Case and then some and without a mention from me he brought every single item I would need for the night.  I couldn't help but be overwhelmed with what a blessing he is when I had my glasses, contacts case and solution, toothbrush, and jammies.  It just hit me that he knows me better than anyone and better than I think he does.  He is the perfect man for me and such an amazing Daddy!!!  I love you Baby!

Now I'm sitting in a recliner looking at my little man's chest going up and down and all I can do is thank God that my baby is the healthiest one on this floor.

This is the "bubble" he slept in.  Let me tell you how much I wish I
could take this thing home!  No risk of falls here!
Fast Forward 1 day.

Case didn't fall asleep until about 12:30 or 1 this morning.  I was surprised it took him that long because I knew he was exhausted but it had been a crazy night so I think he just had trouble settling down.  He didn't seem to sleep super sound until about 6 this morning and of course that's when the docs started rounding and nurses started coming in to take vitals.  Most of them were great about letting him sleep as best they could.
This is what he looked like this morning.  The swelling didn't seem
any worse but the bruising sure did!
We saw the neurosurgeon again today.  She thought he looked great and just reiterated how important it is that he keep "two feet on the ground", although I think she also appreciates what a task that will be as he was jumping all over the room while she talked.  I will do my best to turn him into a couch potato for the next month.  I'm guessing there won't be too many times where I'll have a doctor telling me to do that.
They came and asked him what kind of toys he likes then got those toys out for when we got to the playroom.  Amazing!  

After all the doctors came and went and the nurses checked him they released him at about 1:30, almost exactly 24 hours from the fall.
Headed home with my little raccoon!  
Now we are home, napped, fed, bathed, and he is in bed.  He's trying really hard to remember to move slowly, which he's been reminded of about 2,000 times today and we've had some very intense couch etiquette training with both boys on a few occasions too.  Grandma came in with lots of "sit down" toys and puzzles that we'll open on an "as needed" basis.  Reflecting on the last day and a half is crazy because it felt like about 2 weeks!  All I could do was look at our surroundings at Riley and be reminded of how blessed we are.  A little boy 3 rooms down from us celebrated his 1st birthday in the hospital and from the looks of his room I'm guessing he lives there right now.  It is so hard and scary to imagine that life but it happens and there are so many people living with the devastation of what disease and injuries can do to their babies at this very moment.  Life is so precious and that is so easy to forget when we get into the hubbub of life.  There are gifts from God in every trial and this reminder is just one of many in this one.  I'm also humbled by the love and support of our friends and family when things get tough.  We are loved way beyond what we deserve.  There are so many people praying for my baby and loving on us.  Thank you!  And a special thank you to Sara for delivering dinner to our door tonight.  I can't tell you what a huge help that was to us tonight and it was so yummy too (she even made a meatless version of what she made my boys... could we possibly be better taken care of??).

We have follow up appointments scheduled with the opthamologist and the neurosurgeon so I will be sure and update after those.  In the meantime we truly appreciate prayers for our little man!!!

1 comment:

Sara said...

So glad he is o.k. We have said lots of prayers these last few days and will continue to pray for a very calm month for Case.